Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Yellow Brick Road Quilt

Yellow Brick Road is one of my favorite quilt patterns. The designer is Terry Atkinson of Atkinson Designs. She combines clear written directions, great diagrams AND the correct yardage amounts!! Those of us who look at the pictures first can always find clarification from the written parts and those of you who always read first can do the same from the drawings. Who could ask for anything more?......(sounds like a great song title!).

I have taught this quilt to beginning quilters many, many times, suggested it to others at the shop (http://www.thecalicohorse.com/) many, many times and made it myself in a variety of ways, many, many times. In fact, I should probably contact Terry Atkinson and ask for a commission.....anything to earn fabric money!!

Anyway, just a few more comments before I actually give you the fabric requirements (for those of you taking my class or if you just want to check your stash for possible quilts).
* It is great for beginners, requiring you know only basic skills.
* It looks more complicated than it really is!!!!
* It shows off the fabrics, letting you choose any theme or style.
* It is great for 'fussy cutting' and inserting alternate blocks.
*Once you have made it a couple of times, you can HONESTLY make a lap quilt in a weekend! WOW!

Now, the quilt information:

YELLOW BRICK ROAD
Pattern: Yellow Brick Road by Atkinson Designs
Materials: Lap size (See pattern for baby, twin,queen,king)
12 fat quarters for center of quilt
2 yards for outer border and binding
3 1/2 yards for backing
1 3/4 yards for batting (from a 90" wide roll)
or
1 twin packaged batting
Tools:
Sewing machine (with new needle)
Thread and full bobbin
1/4" foot for your machine
Rotary cutter (45mm or 60mm, any style)
Rulers, 6 1/2" x 24" and a 9 1/2" square (or larger)
Cutting mat (for home, not for class)
Basic sewing supplies (scissors, straight pins, ripper, etc.)
Fabric preparation:
Today's quality quilting fabrics rarely shrink or have a problem with color fading or bleeding. You can confidently use the fabric right from the bolt.
Some quilters prefer to wash, dry and iron their fabric anyway. Washing removes the sizing and changes the way the fabric feels. Pre-washing does not affect the quality or workability of the fabric.
Flannels and homespun fabrics are the exception. These are loosely woven and will shrink a little. You should pre-wash and dry them. This is especially true if you are mixing them with regular quilting fabric. Not pre-washing them could cause different parts of your quilt to shrink or distort when the finished quilt is washed.


THERE!!! all the stuff and info needed for one of my favorite quilts. Even if you don't take a class with me, I guarantee you will love the results when you make it on your own! I'd like to stay and chat, but I have to go make a Winnie-the-Pooh Yellow Brick Road for my niece's new baby boy AND I only have two days before the shower!!!

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hey think I will sign up to take your class.....wait a minute I work with you on Tuesday!! Susan I have really MISSED YOU!!! Are you ready for me to drive you crazy on Tuesday???!

robin said...

Hi Susan,
I am a newbie and I was wondering which rulers are best to buy. I see that they have clear with black writing, black and yellow writing, black and blue writing, this is all depending on the brand. I do not mind spending more if one is better than another. I plan on quilting for a long time. Please advise me, Thank you Robin Sovers, your new student :)

robin said...

Hi Susan,
I am still not sure about the blue gingham as a boarder. I was thinking about putting natural muslin for the back. What do you think, if I put it on the board instead? I would put the material that I use on the quilt in the corners, and then put the blue gingham on the back. Please tell me what you think. Thank you, Robin